Removal of Fibroids Overview
Since fibroids are abnormal growths located in or on the uterus that can grow to be large and painful, many women seek out a doctor to have them removed. Highly experienced Newburgh physicians, Dr. Basinski and Dr. Juran, use the latest and safest technology to effectively and comfortably remove fibroids. They can use minimally invasive techniques to reduce downtime after other options, such as medications, haven’t worked. In more severe and complicated cases, the doctors might use traditional surgical methods to get rid of especially large and/or multiple fibroids.
Reasons for Removal
Pain is often the most common reason why women decide to have fibroid removal, but fibroids cause other symptoms that women want to alleviate. These include:
- Heavy bleeding that occurs not only during your period but in between them
- Painful and intense menstrual cramping
- Prolonged, painful periods
- Pelvic and/or lower back pain
- Pain during sexual intercourse
- Swelling or growth of the abdomen
- Feeling of pressure or fullness in the abdomen
- Increased urination
Fibroid Removal Options
To remove fibroids, the following methods can be used:
- Minimally invasive procedures to destroy fibroids such as ultrasound surgery, where an MRI machine emits high-frequency sound waves to target the fibroid to ultimately destroy it.
- Endometrial ablation uses a special instrument that a doctor will insert into the uterus to destroy the lining of the uterine through heat.
- Myomectomy is surgery used to remove multiple or very large fibroids. In many cases, myomectomy surgery can be performed laparoscopically where instead of one, large incision, several small incisions are made for precise, less invasive surgery.
- Depending on where the fibroid is, we may be able to remove it with an office procedure. Specifically this refers to fibroid growings within the inside cavity of the uterus.
- A hysterectomy is performed as a last resort to remove the entire uterus. This surgery occurs when fibroids are especially numerous and/or large. After a hysterectomy, a woman is no longer able to have children.
Get Rid of Your Fibroids
If you’re sick of dealing with painful fibroids that are causing you prolonged and painful periods, heavy bleeding, intense cramps and more, it might be time to look at fibroid removal. There are a number of options that Dr. Basinski or Dr. Juran will be more than happy to go over with you to restore your health and well-being. They’ll provide you with all of the needed information to choose the option that’s right for you. Ready to get rid of those fibroids? Give us a call today to schedule an appointment.